Blanket for Baby Girl

Thursday, January 16, 2014

I can finally tell you about a little project that I have been working on! I started this project a LONG time ago, and I am so happy with it. I really enjoy making homemade gifts for the babies that come into our family! I made a quilt for Lendon and a Dane and I made a growth chart for Easton! Anyway...I was excited to break out my sewing machine and make a blanket for the newest little addition! This little babe is a GIRL, and I really wanted to make something sweet and lovely. I did some searching...on Pinterest, of course, and found this adorable blanket!

My grandma and I went shopping for fabric and I picked out some sweet yellows, pinks, purples, and oranges. There were a variety of fabrics with teddy bears, blocks, and other baby icons, but I decided to go with something a little less traditional. The second I saw this yellow fabric with pretty little birds and sweet flowers I knew that is what I wanted to use...AND there were solids that matched perfectly!



The first thing that I had to do was make sure all of the fabric was the same size. Once that was done, I stacked the fabrics in the order that I wanted them. I had to put several safety pins all over the stack of fabric to keep the material from shifting. Sewing the first line was the most stressful. I had to draw a line diagonally down the center of the fabric and sew over that line. After that, I just sewed a line every half an inch. I takes A TON of thread!

I took breaks from sewing every once in a while to cut...partially because I was bored with sewing, but mostly because I was too impatient to wait! I had a total of 4 fabrics stacked together...the printed fabric, orange, pink, and purple. I cut through the top two solid fabrics, pink and purple, and left the printed fabric and the orange fabric alone.



After countless hours of sewing and cutting I was ready to sew on the binding. When I did Lendon's quilt, I sewed the binding to the front of the quilt and then folded it over and hand stitched it to the back of the quilt. I really didn't want to do that with this blanket. I feel like a blanket is less formal than a quilt, and hand stitching the binding takes me a long time. I decided to purchase some to machine sew the binding on with a zigzag stitch instead. It looks fun and girly!

So, there you have it...a special blanket for a sweet little girl! It is not perfect, but is made with love!

You Might Also Like

0 comments